August 8, 2007

Acrylic owns Oil

I was moving some paintings around today, when I came across these two. I figured it would be a good time to scan and post them up. These paintings are by far my favorite pieces I've done in acrylic. I never thought I'd be able to paint anything until I tried acrylic. Compared to oil, acrylic was just so damn liberating. Oil forces you to plan things out and for me it leaves little room for spontaneity, all of which is due to its long drying time. But with acrylic it dries so fast that even if you put down a color or brush stroke that you don't like, a few minutes later you can just paint right over it. I don't worry about screwing up when painting with acrylic. I try to paint digitally the same way I paint with acrylic but I still know I paint differently with each. I suppose it’s because with real paint you're slowed down and forced to think more about each brush stroke. Anyway, I just got a new sketch book today so be sure to check back soon for new sketches.

4 comments:

myung said...

that old mans cool!

RoB said...

Sweeet! Another post from the man!

Your acrylics look great dude! I second that motion, that old man is cool!

~!WoOtWoOt!~

StudioRisingStar said...

That old man is WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
J/K Ahed. Nah these are cool man keep it up!
-SRS

Unknown said...

i agree with everybody else, nice paints! not too many people do the traditional thing.

&Rew.